The Adventurers

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My husband and I absolutely LOVE to "seize the day"!  TONIIIIIIIIGGHHHT We are young, we are in love, & we want to see the world.  There is just something so refreshing about crossing things off your bucket list with your best friend.  It's also a little addicting.  Ever notice how you immediately start planning your next vacation after you return from one?  Or is that just me?

Anyway, I am the world's worst at saving money in the bank, but Jason could possibly be the world's greatest.  I'm a goal-oriented & visual person, so I have to SEE the money collecting to stay motivated!  (Naturally, I was amazing at lemonade stands, selling candy-grams, & raising money for Student Council growing up.)

For Jason's birthday, I wanted to give him something heartfelt & personal.  But what?  Concert tickets?  A gift certificate to a fancy-schmancy restaurant?   Seinfeld educated me in never simply giving your significant other a wad of dollar bills.  "You got me CASH? Who are you? My uncle?!"
So clearly, that was not an option.

But seriously, I was running out of options.  This boy has everything.  And what he doesn't have...he buys for himself.  Suddenly, a lightbulb goes off.  In seconds, I'm designing and printing and cutting and taping.  Then I'm blowing up balloons with our helium tank in the back bedroom.  (Yes, I have a helium tank at all times now for emergencies like this - that's totally normal, right?)

Upon hearing the hustle and bustle behind closed doors, our conversation went something like this:

Jason:  What are doing in there?
Heather:  Nothing!  Stay out.  I'm making stuff.
Jason:  K.  Good luck.

Typical.

Anyways, that night, we have his early birthday dinner and I present him with a gift bag that has like 7 balloons hovering above it.  He was already intrigued...as were my niece and nephew who couldn't help but to try to sneak a peek, shake the bag & beg for a balloon.  When he opened it, he saw this...

Balloons make everything more fun, but this gift was definitely inspired by the movie, "UP!". 
That movie has such a special place in my heart.
 
**For only $5, you can purchase this adorable template to create your own adventure jar for your special someone this Valentine's Day!  Contact me at heathercarpenterphotography@gmail.com OR simply shoot me a Facebook message at www.facebook.com/heathercarpenterphotography.


HE REALLY LOVED IT!  (And I get to benefit from it too so it's a win-win all around!)

I didn't know what he wanted to do or where he wanted to go this year or next.  If he wanted to save up to turn our dream of touring New Zealand into a reality like we've always talked about; if he wanted a weekend getaway or  if "simply" the NBA Finals would suffice.  But I knew whatever we decided on, we would have a blast saving for it and experiencing it together.

I gave this to him at the end of December with the very real & pessimistic expectation that it'd either sit empty in his closet for years or if we stayed on track...we'd be at around $250 by now & maybe take a trip around Christmas time.  

But, funny things happen when you get visually motivated...

I just deposited our first month's jar savings & we exceeded our monthly goal by a LONG shot. 

Every time had leftover change, got a bonus or received birthday/Christmas money, we would yell "ADVENTURE JAAARRRRR!" followed by a high five, a happy dance or a quick WOO-HOO!, before finally placing the money in the jar.

Our FIRST Adventure Jar destination: LAS VEGAS to party at the ACM awards weekend in April!

After that, who knows?  We make a new goal & start the fun all over again. 

It truly is the gift that keeps on giving.




Carpe Diem everyone,









For only $5, you can purchase this adorable template to create your very own adventure for your special someone this Valentine's Day!  Contact me at heathercarpenterphotography@gmail.com or simply shoot me a Facebook message at www.facebook.com/heathercarpenterphotography



 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground